Goal: The Society of Clinical Research Associates (SOCRA) recognizes the continuing need for education for Clinical Research Professionals responsible for the activities at the research site or institution. The purpose of this workshop is to assist research professionals in improving their skills and their understanding of the responsibilities of conducting oncology clinical research.
Objective: The goal will be accomplished through lecture and practical application facilitated by clinical research professionals. Information will be presented and discussed regarding the administration of oncology clinical trials according to regulation, guidance, policy and procedure.
Oncology Research Fundamentals Preconference Workshop: The conference will feature an optional half-day preconference workshop on Oncology Fundamentals. This preconference is designed to provide a comprehensive overview of the fundamentals of working in Oncology Research and complements the Main Program. This interactive virtual workshop will provide you with an overview of the oncology therapeutic area and examine why oncology trials are unique.
Learning Objectives – Oncology Research Fundamentals Preconference Workshop - The participant will be able to:
- Discuss oncology research basics including cancer statistics, oncology terminology, development of cancer, understanding cancer diagnosis, and staging and grading trends in oncology
- Discuss the use of Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECISIT)
- Understand how to read and evaluate oncology protocols
Learning Objectives: - Main Conference - Upon completion of this course the attendee should be able to:
- Discuss current trends in oncology clinical research and identify how these trends are influencing oncology trials.
- Discuss the challenges of conducting oncology clinical research
- Discuss the complexity of oncology trials and tools and techniques for managing these trials
- Discuss regulatory requirements for oncology research including the NCI policies and guidelines for protocol development
- Discuss the basic principles of clinical trial design
- Discuss the standard approach to response evaluation in oncology
- Describe sponsor expectations of oncology research sites
- Discuss site selection from pre-qualification through initiation and site ready status
- Describe the importance of Pharmacokinetics (PK) evaluations in oncology research
- Discuss the use of personalized medicine and target therapies in oncology research
- Describe the process of reporting adverse events, including special NCI reporting requirements
- Discuss the standard approach to response evaluation in oncology research
- Discuss the Investigator’s responsibilities for conducting safe, ethical, and successful research
- Discuss the changing methodology used for conducting Phase 1 oncology trials
- Discuss the process for identifying outcome measures in oncology research studies
- Discuss Immunotherapy as an emerging class of cancer treatment that uses the body’s own immune system to help fight cancer cells
- Discuss common FDA findings, what these findings mean, and the unique challenges they present in Oncology studies